The Hitching Lot Farmers’ Market, a Mississippi Certified Farmers’ Market, is open May through October each year (Saturdays only in September and October). Please call our office (662-328-6305) for all Farmers’ Market details and updates.
Operated through a partnership between the City of Columbus and Main Street Columbus and overseen by an advisory committee of faithful volunteers, the Hitching Lot Farmers’ Market provides our community and visitors with locally grown, seasonal produce, baked goods and local crafts.
The Hitching Lot Farmers’ Market was established in 1976. The tradition of farmers bringing vegetables and fruits to town harkens to the days of horse-drawn wagons. A handful of longtime local growers kept the custom alive through the decades. The market was revitalized in 2006. Four women (Jennifer Lehner, Anne Freeze, Jennifer Brady, and Beth Imes, aka “The Heirloom Tomatoes”) made it their mission to turn the market into a thriving gathering place for locals to buy locally grown produce. Larry Feeney designed and donated the first image for the market poster, boy scouts made and donated picnic tables, local chefs gave cooking demonstrations along with scrumptious samples.
The mission of the Hitching Lot Farmers’ Market is to promote healthy eating and education to the public. Having committed, loyal buyers is as important as having good, conscientious local growers.
We want to see the farmers thrive. With various public activities, education, local support, and amazing farmers, we know the Hitching Lot Farmers’ Market will grow for years to come.
A vibrant local market is a celebration of community. It is a place where people can come together and foster unity.
When you shop at the Hitching Lot Farmers’ Market, you can be confident that the produce is fresh and 100% local.
Benefits of Buying at a Farmers’ Market
- Fresh, locally grown foods. Fruits and vegetables are picked at the peak of their growing season, meaning this produce is the freshest and tastiest available. If you start adding farmers’ market produce to your cooking, you’ll be amazed at the difference in flavor!
- A larger variety. You may find unique fruits and vegetables that you will not see at the grocery store. Try something new!
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables. By shopping at farmers’ markets, you get to find the truest flavors of the season and understand which fruits and vegetables are in season and at what times.
- It’s good for your health. Produce found in farmers’ markets are minimally processed and often grown without using pesticides, antibiotics, or genetic modification. A great way to eat healthy is to put a spectrum of colorful fruits and vegetables on your plate. They are full of great nutrients, including antioxidants and phytonutrients. The more color variety, the better!
- Affordable. At farmers’ markets, locally grown foods are typically cheaper due to shorter travel and minimal processing, getting you more bang for your buck!
- Support family farmers. When you buy from farmers’ markets, you are helping to support those local family farms, giving them money they need to continue providing fresh produce for your family!
- Know where your food comes from. Get to know your local farmers and even some family recipes!
- Protect the environment. Farmers’ market produce doesn’t have far to get from the farm to your table, significantly reducing the use of fossil fuels.
- Shopping is more social. Farmers’ markets bring communities together! Meet friends there, or have a day out with the family. We often host workshops or have special daily events.
- Support the local economy. This means more local jobs and money back into your community. The more you buy, the more you get back.